FC Goa season ends with semi-final defeat to Mumbai City FC

posted in Match Report by FC Goa Official on 20th May 2024

posted in Match Report

by FC Goa Official

on 20th May 2024

FC Goa season ends with semi-final defeat to Mumbai City FC

FC Goa crashed out of the Indian Super League playoffs with a 5-2 defeat on aggregate to Mumbai City FC. Jorge Pereyra Diaz and Lallianzuala Chhangte got the goals for the home side as they emerged 2-0 victorious on the night.

The Gaurs came into the fixture after a disappointing 3-2 defeat in Goa last week where they led 2-0 until the 90th minute. Despite their best efforts, the deficit proved too much to be overturned.

Head Coach Manolo Marquez reshuffled his attacking options from the first leg with Udanta Singh replacing Boris Singh and Mohammad Yasir missing out due to injury. Noah shifted to the left wing as Carlos Martinez came in to lead the line.

This meant Borja Herrera dropped to the bench and Rowllin started in midfield alongside Carl McHugh.

The game got off to a quick start with both sides prising a few openings. As the teams settled, the encounter became cagey with lots of niggling fouls. The best chance of the first half hour fell to Mumbai defender Tiri whose header from Yoell van Nieff’s corner cannoned off the post.

The Islanders hit the woodwork again a few minutes later when Chhangte was played through by Diaz. The winger’s side footed shot beat Dheeraj in goal, but was a few inches away from finding the back of the net.

The second half continued in the same vein with Peter Kratky’s side looking a bit more dangerous. Mehtab Singh had two chances in quick succession but he failed to test Dheeraj with either. 

The Gaurs also looked to play on the front foot with Noah registering their first shot on target in the 54th minute through a header from Brandon’s cross which was well-saved by Phurba Lachenpa.

Both sides continued to press for the opener and Mumbai’s dominance in set-pieces was crucial as they took a 4-2 aggregate lead in the 69th minute. Another van Nieff corner found a free head in Rahul Bheke. His attempt was saved on the line by Nim Dorjee but Diaz was on hand to bundle it in.

With two goals needed, Marquez’ men pushed more men forward. This left space at the back which was exploited in the 83rd minute as the Islanders doubled their lead on the night. Borja’s weak pass was intercepted by Vikram who played in Chhangte who rounded the keeper before tapping the ball into an empty net.

The away side pushed in the closing stages but were unable to find the opening they needed to claw their way back into the tie.

The result brought an end to the season for FC Goa. Despite a frustrating end to the year, the Gaurs have much to look forward to having made the playoffs for the first time since 2021 and finishing just three points off the top in the league.