Goa Pro League 2018/19: FC Goa registers an emphatic 5-2 win over Calangute Association

Four goals in the second half helped FC Goa to a memorable 5-2 win over Calangute Association here at the Duler Stadium. The Gaurs galvanised themselves after having fallen 1-2 behind in the first half and romped their way to all three points.

Imran Khan opened the scoring for FC Goa in the first half when he found himself at the end of Nestor Dias’ ball after some good work from Kingslee Fernandes on the right. The winger’s chipped shot from his first touch was too good for the keeper.

The Gaurs remained on the front foot for much of the first forty-five but failed to make further inroads. Calangute, on their part, remained resilient at the back and finally drew level through Akash Sanai. The midfielder blasted past Shubham Dhas in the first added minute of the first-half.

Calangute doubled their lead only seconds later when Meldon D’Silva unfortunately turned the ball into his own net after Dominic Fernandes had whipped in a low ball from the left.

Whilst the first half was a story of frustration for FC Goa, the second would paint one of jubilance.

The Gaurs wasted no time in responding upon their return to the pitch. A delightful cross from left off the boots of Liston Colaco in the very first minute of the second forty-five saw Kapil rise highest and head the ball on to the crossbar. The deflection incited a scramble near the goal-line before the ball trickled into the net.

With the wind in the sails, FC Goa got their deserved lead in the 72nd minute when Meldon made up for his earlier error. Princeton Rebello’s ball into the box from a free kick on the left was met by the defender in the box, and the rest as they say, is history.

Eight minutes later Kapil scored his second and the Gaurs’ fourth to virtually put the game to bed. A scorching shot from the right boot of the winger saw the Calangute keeper grasping at thin air as FC Goa doubled their lead.

Substitute Aaren D’Silva, who had laid the ball off for Kapil’s second a few minutes earlier, put the icing on the cake in the 87th minute. The forward took the ball in his stride after being played in by Princeton before unleashing a low shot that found the bottom corner.

The win sees FC Goa move on to 20 points from their 8 games. The Gaurs are still unbeaten with 6 wins and 2 draws to their names and now see themselves enjoying a 4-point lead at the top.