FC Goa go top of the table after 2-1 win over ATK FC

posted in Match Report by souvik on 15th December 2019

posted in Match Report

by souvik

on 15th December 2019

FC Goa go top of the table after 2-1 win over ATK FC

FC Goa jumped to the top of the Hero Indian Super League table after a brilliant 2-1 victory over fellow title hopefuls ATK FC at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Fatorda. All the goals were scored within the space of a frantic 6 minutes as Mourtada Fall gave the home side the lead, only to be pegged back by Jobby Justin four minutes later. Ferran Corominas marked his return to the team in style as he netted from close range two minutes later.

The match started at a frenetic pace with the ball being tossed around from end to end. David Williams was the first to have a shot on goal as he collected the ball and shot from distance but only managed to hit it straight at an alert Mohammad Nawaz. At the other end, Hugo Boumous raced down the left but his cut-back just evaded Jackichand Singh and Coro in the box.

Thereafter, the Gaurs wrested control of the match and poured forward. Sergio Lobera’s men were dominating possession as the visitors struggled to keep pace with them.

Arindam Bhattacharya was called into action in the 21st minute when Ahmed Jahouh raced down the right flank and put in a low cross towards Coro but the keeper just got ahead of the Spaniard to intercept.

The Gaurs had a big chance to go ahead in the 27th minute when a corner from Brandon fell to the feet of Boumous in the box who found himself with time and space. The Frenchman, however, skied his attempt on the swivel.

The visitors were sitting deep and looking to attack the home side on the counter but the Gaurs seemed up to the task and defended superbly. With the first half coming to a close, the Gaurs got close on a number of occasions but just couldn’t find the back of the net.

The Gaurs continued to attack the Kolkata defence right from kick-off in the second half. Jackichand and Coro combined well down the right and the ball fell for Boumous who could not make good contact as it soared above the crossbar.

The game finally kicked into life on the hour mark as the home side were rewarded for their attacking persistence. A cross from Jackichand deflected off the arm off Prabir Das and the Gaurs were awarded a free-kick. Brandon stepped up and curled a brilliant cross towards Fall who powered past his marker to head past Arindam. The lead didn’t last very long, however, as ATK came straight back into the match four minutes later.

A loss of concentration saw Roy Krishna run on to a through ball down the middle. But Fall was able to get back in time to deflect the ball towards Nawaz who dived to his left but parried it straight into the path of substitute Jobby Justin who smashed home from close range.

The Gaurs were not to be outdone as they roared back in style two minutes later when Boumous on the right picked out the run of Coro who promptly finished at the near post to give his side the lead once again. Habas’ men could have had another equalizer in the 71st minute when Agustin Iniguez headed powerfully at goal from a corner but Nawaz reacted well to save the shot.

The Gaurs could have doubled their lead in the 85th minute when substitute Manvir Singh ran at the defence, evaded the challenge of two players but couldn’t find the net as Arindam stuck out his left leg to deny him from close range.

Time was running out for the two-time champions as they attempted to pile on the pressure. The Gaurs were having to defend resolutely to keep out the Kolkata side as Fall was tasked with clearing the ball and did so effectively. ATK were unable to come back as time ticked away and the Gaurs made it two wins on the trot.