Durand Cup 2019: FC Goa Dev Team vs. Army Green Preview
The FC Goa Developmental Team will kick off their season officially tomorrow (7th August, 2019) when they take on Army Green for their first game in the Durand Cup here in Kalyani.
The young Gaurs were champions of the Goa Professional League last season, where they clinched the Title on the last day of the league with a convincing win over Dempo. The youngsters then beat Dempo 2-0 again a week back in a charity match to mark their season-opener.
They will now look to take that momentum into this game against Army Green.
Army Green are the defending Durand Cup champions, winning the tournament in 2016 when they beat Neroca in the final , 6-5 on penalties.
The Gaffer’s Call
Clifford Miranda, who won the Durand Cup during his playing days, will look to win it as a coach this time around. But, before getting there, he expects a tough competition from Army Green tomorrow and development in his own side’s play in the field.
“Like all other Army teams, I expect Army Green to be physical and athletic with good technical ability. With Army teams you can be sure that will be a feisty affair. I expect to play against a side which is physical, plays with a high tempo and likes to run,” exclaimed Miranda.
“However, what we really need to stress on is the way we play. We will play to our philosophy, both with and without the ball and to the best of our abilities. For us, the primary aim is the development of these players in a competitive environment; everything else comes second, and of course winning is part of the developmental process.
Stats and facts
- Liston Colaco accounted for 22 goal contributions (10 goals, 12 assists) in only 15 games for the Developmental side last season over all competitions
- Lalawmpuia was the highest scorer for the Developmental side last season in the Goa Pro League with 10 goals to his name
- Aaren D’Silva’s 6 goals in the group stages of the 2nd Division League last season was the highest for any Indian player across teams
- 16 players were on target for the Dev team last season over all competitions
- The FC Goa Dev team claimed 54 points out of a total 66 in the Goa Pro League last season
- Shubham Dhas finished the group stage of the 2nd Division League last season with the joint-highest number of clean sheets
- The young Gaurs scored in every Goa Pro League game barring two