Match Preview FC Goa vs Chennaiyin FC
5th October 2018
The Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Chennai holds bitter sweet memories for FC Goa. This was the place where all the fun started last year as the Gaurs gave a taste as to what was to come in their season-opener.
A 3-2 win in Chennai set the tone for a record-breaking season which saw Goa crush almost every goal-scoring record there was to crush. This, however, is also the venue where the Gaurs’ promising campaign last season came to an end.
A 3-0 defeat in the second leg of the semis at the hands of last season’s champions would see the curtain fall for Sergio Lobera and his men.
Goa vs Chennai has always been entertaining. Whether it be the final of 2015 or any other league game, the two teams have always produced sizzlers whenever they come together. This includes a nine-goal thriller at the Fatorda in 2016. And we shouldn’t expect anything different.
Coming into the season, FC Goa and Chennaiyin FC were the only two teams to continue with the same managers at the helm. And with both sides retaining a large part of their squad, the game on Saturday should add another intriguing chapter to the rivalry between the two Southern clubs.
FC Goa come into the game after having drawn their first game of the season away at NorthEast United. After falling behind early in the game, the Gaurs came roaring back and led 2-1 going into halftime thanks to a brace from Coro.
NorthEast, however, found their rhythm as well as the equaliser in the second half to hold the Gaurs to a point.
On the other hand, Chennaiyin are coming off a defeat from their season-opener away to Bengaluru FC. A goal from Miku was good enough to bag all three points for the home side.
Important Notes and Stats:
- FC Goa will have the services of Edu Bedia for this game. The midfielder missed the last game due to a suspension that carried over from last season’s Super Cup.
- Brandon Fernandes will, however, miss the game on Saturday as he serves his last game of suspension.
- Since the inception of the ISL, FC Goa have faced Chennaiyin FC 11 times.
- FC Goa have beaten Chennaiyin on 4 occasions whilst coming out on the losing side 6 times.
- Only 1 game between the sides have ever been a draw
- On the goalscoring front FC Goa have found the net on 17 occasions whilst conceding 23.